Monday, May 23, 2005

Wild Divinity

As anyone who has spent more than five minutes in my presence knows I have a passion for video games. Not that I play them every day or even every month. It's just that when I do get hooked on one I really get hooked. I approach them with an intensity that can charitably be described as "clinically monomaniacal". And so it may be with the latest, although this may not be such a bad thing. In fact Ellen may even approve. Well, except technically I gave it to her as a present, and since we only have one copy I have to use her computer to play it. I view these as niggling details. "My turn on the game, wench. Go fix me a steak!"

"So do you blow a bunch of stuff up?"
Uh, no. There are no evil creatures to speak of and there really isn't a way to detonate anything.

"Hmm. So then you race hard and crash hard to the strains of a thunderous rock anthem?"
Not really. The music is a bit new-agey and the speed of the game is closer to a mosey.

"You create a simulated world and rule as a capricious and tyrannical overlord?"
Nope. The objective is more about letting go than controlling anything. Let me explain...

The name of the game is The Journey to Wild Divine. You use biofeedback (sensors attached to your fingers) to make various things happen from floating a ball to lighting a fire. Generally it is about alternately achieving increased and decreased energy states. For a guy with a lifetime of experience with rocket launchers and nuclear weapons using a phrase like "achieving energy states" is way too touchy-feely to feel natural. The first task I was faced with was making a pinwheel turn. I was supposed to take a slow, deep breath and then blow gently outwards. By gum if it didn't work! I could sit still, or huff and puff, or even visualize worlds exploding and that pinwheel stayed put. By doing what they recommend, however, I saw it twitch just a little as I took a long, slow breath, and then turn freely as I blew out. Amazing. I kept it up for a good few minutes just reveling in the experience.

This sounds odd to say, and mildly risky considering the large number of years I have referred to Ellen's morning meditation as "napping" (although to be fair I have heard her snore at least once), I felt strangely invigorated after a half hour with the game. I think I'll make it part of my morning routine. Before coffee, though. Definitely before coffee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home